St John's House Timeline...
c. 1826 - 1886
No:20 & 22 Newcastle Hill
Lease & Release of these dates respectively the
release made between...
Walter Coffin & Thomas Williams of the first part,
Rees Roberts of the second part
and Charles Llewellyn of the third part.
Owen Philipps b.1863 d.1937.
(Family connected to Slebech & Picton Castle).
He was invested as a Knight of Grace of the order in 1912. The first meeting of the Welsh Chapter in Clerkenwell. Recorded as acting Sub Prior he gave the Hospice of St John at Bridgend to the Order.
c.1919 - 1952
c1980’s - 2012
Sample of wood from beams have been identified, by dendrology, as having been felled in 1511/12. The green oak would have been used to build the house soon after felling. ’Earliest date to be associated to the building described by the Royal Commission as A ‘
Town House of unusual quality of its type’.
A hearth -passage house in style & plan with a storeyed porch ( later enlarged) . Hall, with single room open to the roof above, central passage separates the hall from twin service rooms with carved Sutton Stone doorways quarried
Main Chamber (service end) has a loft above, carpenter marks in beams.
Three mural stairways with carved stone window stair lights.
St John's House - Bridgend - South Wales
St John’s House, Newcastle Hill, Bridgend, CF31 4EY - M: 07510 248315
St John’s House Trust (Bridgend) Charity Reg. No. 1147340 St. John’s House Trust - 2019